Monday, June 9, 2008

Lock down at BHS

We had a lock down on Friday after school. As a parent, the scariest thing is not knowing what is happening. I was in a room with 2 other teachers and 4 students when it occurred. We had to sit quietly for about 20 minutes unsure of what was happening outside the 4 walls of our classroom. It is the strangest thing. So many thoughts running through your head. "Have I hugged my kids enough", "Did I say 'I love you' to my mom when I got off the phone?"

It saddens me to no end that people are incapable of coping without resorting to violence. People are so quick to lash out in anger, rather than dealing with their feelings or emotions.

This is the official word from the district about our lock down on Friday:

We've received a few inquiries about an incident at Bethel High on Friday afternoon and thought it best to update everyone on the situation. At the end of the school day on Friday, a fight between female students led to the arrival on campus of four or five young men with gang ties. The men ran out of the school when they heard deputies were on the way.

The men jumped into a car and were driving away when deputies stopped them in the 24100 block of Mountain Highway not far from the school, said sheriff’s spokesman Ed Troyer. They found gang paraphernalia inside the car and arrested an 18-year-old man and his 19-year-old friend, Troyer said.

Bethel High staff responded quickly and did a good job of securing the building as quickly as possible. The administration is conducting an investigation.



1 comment:

The Morrow's said...

Scary! I'm so glad everything turned out ok! We had a lock down at my school last year b/c some kids were walking around the neighborhood with air rifles! Ridiculous!